Ringwood Acupuncture GDPR Privacy Notice
(Why I collect your personal data and what I do with it)
I take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide the services you have requested of me. When you supply your personal details to me they're stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bold
are the relevant terms used in the Data protection Act 2018; the General Data Protection Regulations):
1. I need to collect personal information about your health to provide you with the best possible treatment. Your requesting treatment and my agreement to provide it constitutes a contract
. You can refuse to provide the information, but then I wouldn't be able to provide treatment.
2. I have a "Legitimate Interest"
in collecting information, as without it I can't do my job effectively and safely.
3. I also think that it's important I can contact you to confirm or change our appointments or to update you on matters related to your medical care, which again constitutes "Legitimate Interest"
, but this is now a shared legitimate interest.
4. Provided I have your consent, I may, very rarely, send you general health information in the form of marketing materials, from which you may withdraw your consent at any time - just let me know by any convenient method.
I have a legal obligation
to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if it's longer), but after this period you can ask me to delete your records if you wish. Otherwise, I will retain your records for 10 years so that I can best provide you with care should you need to see me in that time.
Your records are stored:
1. on paper, in locked filing cabinets.
2. on my computer in the case of correspondence, referral letters, invoices, etc. This is password protected and backed up regularly.
I will never share your data with anyone who does not need access without your written consent. Only I will have routine access to your data, so I can provide you with treatment.
You have the right to see what personal data of yours I hold, and you can also ask me to correct any factual errors. Provided the legal minimum period has elapsed, you can also ask me to erase your records. I want you to be absolutely confident that I am treating your personal data responsibly, and that I am doing everything I can to make sure that the only people who can access that data have a genuine need to do so.
Of course, if you feel that I'm mishandling your personal data in some way, you have the right to complain. Complaints need to be sent to what is referred to in the jargon as the "Data Controller" who is:
Sari Avis, 26 Grenville Close, Ringwood BH24 1UJ
If you are not satisfed with the response, then you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner's Office.
If you have any questions about acupuncture and how it can help you please email